Fred brings the synergies of technical expertise and financial acumen to the evaluation and implementation of electrical self-generation and cogeneration developments in Canada and internationally.
In his more than 35 years of executive and managerial experience, Fred has frequently taken projects from opportunity identification through proposal preparation and client presentations and on to management and execution of the work. He knows how to cultivate and nourish client relations, develop opportunities, scope out work, estimate costs, present winning proposals, execute the work, and grow profitable businesses—and thrives in the challenges of succeeding in tough markets.
In a career encompassing progressive assignments from Field Engineer and Construction Site Manager to EPC Project Director and company President, Fred brings considerable depth in project execution in the oil and gas, oilsands, heavy oil, power generation, cogeneration, pulp & paper, mining, and infrastructure industries to Rangeland’s clients and partners.
Installation of cogeneration facilities to displace existing site electrical loads can offer manageable and cost-effective solutions to high electricity prices and unreliable service.
– Fred Smith, Director of Power and Cogeneration
- Project development and project management
- Gas turbine and reciprocating engine technology
- Cogeneration economics
- Strategic planning and alliance development
- International business development
- Management consulting
- Project turnarounds
- Risk mitigation
- Financial modeling and project financing
- Capital cost estimating
- Construction management
- Team development
- Project Director | Junin J2 Block Heavy Oil Complex, PDVSA Petromacareo
- Project Director | Management Consultancy, PETRONAS
- Project Manager | Fort Hills Infrastructure Utilities Facility, South Upgrader Site
- Project Director | Scotford Upgrader Sulphur Facility, Shell Canada Energy
- Project Manager | Biomass Gasification Cogeneration Plant, Chickadee Creek Energy
- Project Director | Kumkol Power Plant, Hurricane Hydrocarbons
Selected Publications and Presentations
- “High Value Solutions in Midstream Engineering Services,” Canadian Midstream Oil and Gas Trade Mission to Mexico, July 2018.
- “Industrial Power and Cogeneration Opportunities in Mexico,” Midstream Mexico Conference and Trade Mission, Mexico City, Mexico, September 2017.
- “Creating Local Synergies in Global Execution,” Gas & Oil Expo and Conference North America, Calgary, Alberta, June 2011.
- “Cogeneration Project Development in Alberta’s Wild-West Electricity Market,” Proceedings: Power-Gen International Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, December 2001.
- “Bucking the Trend: Cost-Plus Services in a Lump-Sum Turnkey Market,” Journal of Management in Engineering, ASCE, New York, NY, 1996.
- “Privatizing Works Under Construction – Reining-In the Risks,” chapter in the book Concepts for the Future, US Department of Energy and HCI Publications, Kansas City, MO, 1994 (chapter was the winner of the 1994 HydroVision Award).
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA)
- Project Management Institute
- Canadian Society for Engineering Management
- General Contractor License (State of Florida)