Richard’s technical expertise and project sequencing has enabled him to consistently achieve a successful outcome with delivering and executing complicated projects.
Having worked with many domestic and international clients, Richard has developed strong interpersonal and interface skills resulting in effective project planning. As a result, he can facilitate design resolutions between project, corporate, stakeholders and EPC. He has developed an intuitive ability when coordinating diverse cross-functional engineering construction teams, vendors, and stakeholders.
His experience encompasses providing, directing and managing all phases of RF Network, IT network, Telecommunication systems, Security Systems, and Broadband Wireless Network design encompassing the planning, engineering design, material procurement and construction in small and mega scale projects. Richard has experience in managing and supervising engineering, design and construction teams for permanent and temporary telecommunication systems for grass root and brownfield plants.
Richard holds a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, specializing in Telecommunications system from the University of Alberta (1991).
Respect for the decision process is key to a thoroughly informed approach towards the final result.
– Richard Van der Star, Sr. Controls Engineer
- IT, LAN/ WAN, VoIP
- Access Control
- VHF/ UHF/ Microwave Radio
- KU/C Band Satellite
- Substation Teleprotection
- Outside Plant Cabling
- Fiber Optics
- Structured CAT5e/6 Cabling
- PA/ GA Systems
- Sr. Telecom Engineer | Encana Technical Services
- Sr. Telecom Engineer | ENCANA Major Projects, Cutbank Ridge Program, Sunrise 04-26, Tower 03-07, Saturn 15-27 Ph2 PMT
- Sr. Telecom Engineer | Evergreen Line Rapid Transit Project, EP
Previous Work Experience
- Sr. Telecom Engineer | Nexen, Laird CPF, EPC
- Lead Telecom Engineer | ZIRKU Facilities Capacity Enhancement
- Sr. Telecom Lead | Suncor Fort Hill, Water Treatment Plant
- Lead Telecom Engineer | BHP Billiton | Jansen Potash Mine
- Lead Telecom Engineer | Ma’aden Umm Wu’al SAP/PP
- Sr. Telecom Engineer | Barrick Hemlo/ Goldstrike mine
- Lead Telecom Engineer / Field Support | Sherritt Ambatovy Project
- Lead Telecom Engineer | Saudi Aramco | Shaybah & Wasit WIP
- Sr. Telecom Engineer / Commissioning | Inco Voisey’s Bay Nickel
- Sr. Telecom Engineer / Commissioning | Corridor Pipeline
- Sr. Telecom Engineer | Diavik Diamond Mine
- Sr. Telecom Engineer | Lithuanian Gas
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA) and British Columbia (APEGBC)